Education Programme Tutor
Education Programme Tutor
Sharks Community Trust is looking for a number of enthusiastic and inspiring team players who have a proven ability to plan and deliver high-quality classroom based activities for their education programmes across Greater Manchester and St Helens. The programmes are aimed at young people not currently in education and employment and the positions will combine a passion for education and sport with strong organisational, communication and administrative skills.
The Sharks Programme Tutor will work with 16 – 19-year-olds who were previously not in employment, education or training by using sport and education to increase young confidence, skills and motivation. The programme provides young people with increased opportunities and qualifications to gain an apprenticeship or employment by providing a unique mix of education, employability, sport and mentoring based sessions. The successful candidate will be expected to deliver all aspect of education and enrichment activities, as well as supporting the Programme Manager with the recruitment of young people on to the programme and progressing them on to a positive destination (apprenticeship, job or place in full-time education).
Programme Tutors will plan and deliver all aspects of the programme at their centre including a Level 1 (and/or a Level 2 qualification), issue based sessions and help to improve learners English/Maths. Applicants will ideally hold a valid driving license and have access to a suitable vehicle. Due to the nature of the programme, applicants may occasionally need to work evenings/weekends and arrange overnight trips for the participants. The successful applicant will be representing Sale Sharks, hence must be professional, approachable and personable at all times, promoting themselves and the club in a positive light.
- To deliver all aspects of education and enrichment activities
- To work with the Programme Manager to develop and deliver, engaging education sessions for 16-19-year-olds including a Level 1/Level 2 qualification, employability and functional skills in English and Maths
- To support the Programme Manager in recruitment for participants on to the programme including developing and maintaining a strong relationship with referral organisations
- To deliver a number of issue based sessions (eg drug and alcohol awareness, improving mental wellbeing, developing healthy relationships etc) developed in conjunction with the Sale Sharks Social Inclusion Manager
- To keep accurate monitoring records for all sessions and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information on the systems for activities and individuals within those activities
- To support the Programme Manager to progress participants on to an apprenticeship, job or further full-time education at a higher level
- To work with safer neighbourhood teams, youth groups, schools and other local agencies to encourage links between them to recruit and support ongoing participation and achievement by young people
- To deliver multi sport sessions at identified venues, coordinating competitions and other events as appropriate. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be line with the Sharks Community Trust strategic aims
Person Specification - Essential
- Teaching qualification
- Experience of working with challenging young adults in an educational setting
- Experience of delivering classroom based sessions
- A passion for sport and an understanding of wider issues related to sport, health and education
- An enthusiastic and committed individual who will ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver results
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent communication and motivation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- An ability to inspire others
Person Specification - Desirable
- NGB Level 1 coaching awards
- Assessor or IV awards
- Degree qualified – strong academic record
- Previous experience of working within a sporting environment
- Experience in working with NEET young people
- A valid driving license and access to own vehicle
The successful candidate will have to undergo an enhanced DBS check to work with children and vulnerable adults.
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing relevant experience and how you meet the person specification to Alison Warwood – email@example.com detailing the position you are applying for in the subject header.