Social Inclusion Officer
Social Inclusion Officer
Sharks Community Trust is looking for an enthusiastic and inspiring team player who has a proven ability to deliver classroom and sporting activities to join its new centre in Wythenshawe to help engage positively with challenging young people. You will combine a passion for education and sport with strong organisational, communication and administrative skills.
The Sharks Education Programme tackles some of the greatest challenges facing young people today, including unemployment, crime and disillusionment by using rugby and sport to increase young people’s skills, confidence and motivation. The programme provides young people with qualifications to get back into apprenticeships and employment by providing a unique mix of education, sport and issue based sessions including improving employability skills.
The social inclusion officer will act as a mentor and assist delivering sporting sessions to 16-19 NEET young people as well as supporting classroom based sessions. The successful candidate will also be expected to help recruit, engage, retain and progress young people as well as assist on other Community Programmes.
The position will primarily be based at the Lifestyle Centre in Wythenshawe from Monday to Thursday and Fridays may be spent working on additional Sale Shark’s Community Programmes. Applicants will ideally hold a valid driving license and have access to a suitable vehicle. The successful applicant will be representing Sale Sharks and must be professional, approachable and personable at all times, promoting themselves and the club in a positive light.
- To develop, in conjunction with the Education Manager suitable multi sport sessions for 16 - 19-year-olds. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be line with the programme’s strategic aims
- To keep accurate monitoring records for all sessions and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information on the VIEWS system for activities and individuals within those activities
- To work in partnership with the Education Manager to recruit young people, retain them, support them to complete the course and progress them on to an apprenticeship or a job
- To engage with local businesses to secure work placements for young people
- To support and assist on Community Programmes.
Person Specification - Essential
- Level 1 sports coaching award
- Experience of working in a classroom environment
- Experience of working with a range of participants from different backgrounds
- Good understanding of the local community
- An interest in sport and an understanding of wider issues related to sport, health and education
- An enthusiastic and committed individual who will ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver results
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Excellent communication and motivation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- An ability to inspire others
Person Specification - Desirable
- Degree qualified – strong academic record
- Level 2 NGB sports coaching qualification
- Level 3 in Teaching and Education (formally known as PTLLS) or above
- Experience in working with NEET young people
- Experience of working in an educational setting with knowledge of assessment and monitoring and evaluation
- A valid driving license and access to own vehicle
The successful candidate will have to undergo an enhanced DBS check to work with children and vulnerable adults and employment will only be offered if a clear check is received back.
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing relevant experience and how you meet the person specification to Alison Warwood – firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the position you are applying for in the subject header.