Pass On Your Passion: Northern Tour
Date6th July 2017
On the 1st May 2017, 12 County Sports Partnerships (CSPs) in the North of England embarked on a 3-month awareness campaign to encourage more women into coaching.
Currently, only 30% of the coaching workforce are women and the percentage of women coaches receiving a qualification each year is 17%.
Each CSP ran the campaign for 1 week, starting off with GreaterSport, in Greater Manchester. Who identified 40 female coaches passionate about coaching and sent each of them an athletics relay baton. The coaches were then asked to pass on their baton to a female participant from their session – the handover symbolising a welcome to the world of coaching. The participant was then encouraged to register their details with GreaterSport for future coaching opportunities. Out of 40 handovers nearly half resulted in successful registrations.
The campaign was then passed onto Yorkshire Sport, which was symbolised by a giant baton. Who then ran the campaign for the next week, taking the same approach as GreaterSport to inspire more women into coaches, before continuing its tour across the North of England.
- GreaterSport (Greater Manchester) 1-7 May
- Yorkshire Sport (West Yorkshire) 8-14 May
- Yorkshire Sport (South Yorkshire) 15-21 May
- Active Humber (Humber) 22-28 May
- North Yorkshire Sport (North Yorkshire) 29-4 June
- Tees Valley Sport (Tees Valley) 5-11 June
- County Durham Sport (Durham) 12-18 June
- Tyne and Wear Sport (Tyne and Wear) 19-25 June
- Northumberland Sport (Northumberland) 26-2 June/July
- Active Cumbria (Cumbria) 3-9 July
- Lancashire Sport Partnership (Lancashire) 10-16 July
- Merseyside Sports Partnership (Merseyside) 17-23 July
- Active Cheshire (Cheshire) 24-30 July
Why not contact your local CSP, from the list above, to see what support they have for female coaches in your area.