Sharks Community Trust has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and inspiring team player who has a proven ability to support our lead tutors in the delivery of classroom-based and sporting activities for young adults aged 16-19 across Greater Manchester. You will combine a passion for education and sport with strong organisational, communication and administrative skills.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £16,000 p.a.
Reports to: Advantage Programme Manager Community Trust Education Manager
Closing date: Tuesday 21st August - 5.00pm
Interview date: To be confirmed
The Sharks HITZ & Advantage Programmes have a record of success tackling the challenges facing young people today, including unemployment, crime and disillusionment, by using education and sport to increase young people’s skills, confidence and motivation. The programme provides young people with qualifications to get into apprenticeships and employment by providing a unique mix of education, sport and issue-based sessions including improving employability skills.
The assistant tutor will act as a mentor and assist in the delivery of sporting sessions to young people aged 16-19 as well as supporting the provision of classroom-based sessions. The successful candidate will also have a key role in recruiting, engaging, retaining and progressing young people into employment and training as well as assisting on other Community Programmes.
The position is a full-time role and will primarily be based at one of our sites across Greater Manchester from Monday to Thursday while Fridays may be spent working on additional Sale Shark’s Community Programmes. Applicants will ideally hold a valid driving license and have access to a suitable vehicle.
The successful applicant must be professional, approachable and personable at all times, promoting themselves and the club in a positive light.
- To support the Tutor in the delivery of classroom-based education including Functional Skills and Level 1/Level 2 qualification alongside issue-based session.
- To develop, in conjunction with the Tutor, suitable multi-sport sessions for 16-19-year olds. All activities should be appropriate to the needs of the target audience and be in line with the programme’s strategic aims.
- To keep accurate monitoring records for all sessions and contribute to the gathering and analysis of evaluation information on the VIEWS system for activities and individuals within those activities.
- To work in partnership with the Tutor and Programme Managers to recruit young people, retain them, support them to complete the course and progress them onto an apprenticeship or a job.
- To support the safeguarding of all learners in line with policies.
- To engage with local businesses to secure work placements for young people.
- To support and assist on Community Programmes.
Person Specification Essential
- A Level 1 sports coaching award
- Experience of working with or mentoring young people
- Experience of working with a range of participants from different backgrounds
- A good knowledge of the local community
- An interest in sport and an understanding of wider issues related to sport, health and education
- Enthusiasm and commitment, a willingness to ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver results
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Excellent communication and motivation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- An ability to inspire others
- Degree qualified
- Level 2 NGB sports coaching qualification
- Level 3 in Teaching and Education (formally known as PTLLS) or above
- Experience in working with NEET young people
- Experience of working in an educational setting with knowledge of assessment and monitoring and evaluation
- A valid driving license and access to own vehicle
The successful candidate will have to undergo an enhanced DBS check to work with children and vulnerable adults and employment will only be offered if a clear check is received back.
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing relevant experience and how you meet the person specification to Alison Warwood – email@example.com detailing the position you are applying for in the subject header.