Role of the Senior Independent Director
The role of Senior Independent Director (SID) was introduced by the GreaterSport Board at its Board meeting on 14th July 2017. It was agreed that the role should be undertaken by the Vice-Chair Will Blandamer. An outline of the duties are as follows:
The SID, in common with all Non-Executive Directors, has the same general legal responsibilities to GreaterSport as any other director. The Board as a whole is collectively responsible for promoting the success of GreaterSport by directing the Company's affairs.
In addition, the Senior Independent Director will:
A. Duties Relating to the Chair
- Act as a sounding board for the Chair and CEO on board and company matters.
- Chair the Nomination and Governance Committees when it is considering succession to the role of Chair of the Board.
- Be a conduit, as required, for views by other Non-Executive Directors on the performance of the Chair, and chair a formal annual session of the Nomination and Governance Committee members (excluding the Chair) to agree the Chair's objectives and review his/her performance.
- Conduct the Chair's annual performance appraisal.
- Be the focal point for board members for any concerns regarding the Chair.
B. Duties Relating to the Board
- Act as a trusted intermediary for Non-Executive Directors where this is required to help them to challenge and contribute effectively.
- Take the initiative in discussion with the Chair or other board members if it should seem that the Board is not functioning effectively.