It is an ambition of GreaterSport that young children aged 0-5 have the best active start in life with physical literacy prioritised as a central feature.
Children starting school ready to learn is fundamental to supporting good outcomes later in life and there is strong evidence which shows us that physical literacy is an important feature of giving young people the best start in life. We know that sedentary behaviour during early years moderately to largely predict sedentary behaviour during middle childhood. Physical activity levels also track into adulthood. We will continue to prioritise our work with early years because it is the right thing to do to support the next generation.
- Work with key agencies to develop and embed an Early Years Physical Literacy Framework to help establish standards across all settings.
- Support organisations in bringing the ‘Start Well and ‘Develop Well’ ambition of Greater Manchester Moving to life.
- Co-ordinate, broker and facilitate partnerships and networks, particularly across the early years and education sector.
- Represent the Sport & Physical Activity Sector on the GM School Readiness Board.
- Ensure children aged 0-4 with the best active start in life with physical literacy prioritised as a central feature of starting well.
- Support the Start Well workforce by facilitating training opportunities thought partners.
- Lead on developing Research and Insight in to Physical Activity Levels of 0 - 4 year olds and make available to our partners.