The Daily Mile
Do you want to improve the mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing of children and young people across Greater Manchester?
The Daily Mile is a great way to do this.
GreaterSport, Greater Manchester Combined Authority, Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership and Greater Manchester Headteachers' Alliance are all encouraging schools to implement this profoundly simple, but effective initiative.
The Daily Mile is successful because…
- It is simple and free.
- It takes place over just 15 minutes, with children averaging a mile each day.
- Children run outside in the fresh air – and the weather is a benefit, not a barrier.
- There’s no set up, tidy up, or equipment required.
- Children run in their uniforms so no kit or changing time is needed.
- It’s social, non-competitive and fun.
- It’s fully inclusive; every child, whatever their circumstances, age or ability, succeeds at The Daily Mile.
There are many benefits to the Daily Mile...
- Improved fitness levels
- Positive change in body shape
- Better concentration
- Improved behaviour
- Increased attainment
- Improved staff-pupil relationships
- Increased confidence
- Better knowledge on the importance of healthy lifestyles
Have a look at this short video put together by Oldham Sport's Development Team to show the benefits of The Daily Mile in Oldham.
Visit The Daily Mile website http://thedailymile.co.uk/ for further information on how to get started.
You can also download on the right a presentation which the founder of The Daily Mile, Elaine Wyllie gave to schools on how to get started.